Other information sources
Building a Better Australia – 50+ Stories of Co-operation
Created in 2012 to celebrate the International Year of Co-operatives, this coffee-table book features 50 case studies from around Australia:
- Download the book as a PDF (10mb).
- You can purchase a hard copy of the book at The Co-op’s online store.
Read Stories.coop‘s Australian case studies:
- Aboriginal Medical Services
- Borderlands Co-operative
- Capricorn Society
- CHOISES Co-operative
- Community Mutual Group
- Plumbers Supply Co-operative
- The Renmark Hotel
- West Belconnen Health Co-operative
Public Service Mutuals
Norco case study
A case study tracing the success of Norco since its foundation in 1895.
- New South Wales: NSW Fair Trading
- Queensland: Queensland Government
- South Australia: Consumer and Business Services, Government of South Australia
- Tasmania: Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading Tasmania
- Victoria: Consumer Affairs Victoria
- Western Australia: Department of Commerce
The Hive is a new business support programme from Co-operatives UK and The Co-operative Bank, for people wanting to start or grow co-operative or community enterprises. Our mix of online resources, advice and training can help you build a better co-operative business.
Platform cooperativism is a growing movement that builds a fairer future of work. By organising businesses that value democratic governance and the co-ownership of platforms, a broad range of freelancers and co-op members have created a concrete, near-future alternative to the extractive “sharing economy.” Whilst avoiding techno-solutionism, these new platform cooperatives are poised to reclaim principles like innovation, solidarity, and resilience by bringing together the rich heritage of cooperativism with the newest Internet technologies, while acknowledging the needs of core constituents.
Co-operative and mutual social enterprise legal models
An overview of legal models for social enterprises from the Social Enterprise Legal Models Working Group. The page includes a video overview and several reports and case studies as well as a legal structures comparison matrix and a brief history of the legislation that covers co-operatives.
A selection of other video resources:
- BCCM Global Leader Dialogues
- BCCM Youtube channel
- Australia International Year of Co-operatives 2012 video library
- Be proud of your co-operative identity
- Think Outside the Boss: Cooperative Alternatives to the Sharing Economy