Following a national roundtable on the role for co-operative and mutuals in public sector reform in November 2013, the BCCM has announced a national task force to explore the viability and roles for co-operatives and mutuals in delivering key public services.
The task force which will oversee the preparation of a Green Paper that expands on the prelimary report: The roles for co-operatives and mutuals in delivering Australian public services, 26 November, 2013.
“The evidence from other jurisdictions and Australian case studies suggests that co-operatives and mutuals have the potential to deliver all types of public services,” said Les Hems, Director, Tommorrow’s Agenda Research Institute (TARI) at Net Balance.
“Co-operatives and mutuals may provide an alternative or effectively address a particular problem, emerging issue or market need such as the transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme.”
Melina Morrison, CEO, BCCM, said: “the Green Paper will be a living document used to engage stakeholders and gather evidence and will provide the basis for consultation on the emerging task force recommendations.”
Public Service Mutuals (PSM) Task Force members
The PSM Task Force will be Chaired by Gillian McFee, a strategic advisor with NRMA. Gillian has many years of experience in the health and aged care industry, is Senior Associate at management consultancy Nous Group, and Managing Director of her own company, Gillian McFee and Associates.
Gillian holds an advisory role to the NSW Minister for Family and Community Services on homelessness and is a Member of the NSW Government’s Home Care Advisory Board. Gillian is also a former CEO and Director of UnitingCare Ageing, one of Australia’s largest health and aged care providers.
- Gillian McFee, Consultant to NRMA, Former CEO UnitingCare Aged Services
- Rowan Dowland, General Manager Development, Bankmecu
- Angela Perry, Chair, Employee Ownership Australia and New Zealand
- John McInerney, Former Managing Director, Common Equity Housing Ltd (CEHL) and BCCM Director
- Kimina Lyall, Group Executive Corporate Development, Australian Unity
- Patrick Walker, Executive General Manager, Advocacy and Member Benefits, RAC WA
- Gordon Duff NDS, National Policy Research Unit Executive Officer, National Disability Services
- Melina Morrison, Chief Executive Officer, Business Council of Co-operatives and Mutuals
- Sheena Jack, Chief Strategy Officer, HCF
Advisors to the Task Force
- Alan Greig, Director, Employee Ownership Australia and Social Business Australia
- Robyn Kaczmarek, Coordinator and founder, Co-operative Home Care
- Michael Pilbrow, Director (founding Chairman), National Health Co-operative
- Morrie O’Connor, President, Nundah Community Enterprise Co-operative
Task Force Secretariat
- Les Hems, Director, Net Balance
- Dhakshy Sooriyakumaran, Associate, Net Balance & Secretary for PSM Task Force
The Green Paper and White Paper recommendations will be handed down in May 2014.