Advisory services for co-ops and mutuals
Corporate strategies for mutuals
Corporate strategies that make a virtue of your mutual status and ensure the interests of key stakeholders are appropriately represented to ensure that the business obtains the maximum beneﬁt from their engagement.
As there is increased scrutiny of investor-owned business, co-operatives and mutuals have an opportunity to benefit, as long as they are able to communicate the value of their unique business purpose and member-owned status.
As they grow and change, the original ownership and governance arrangements in co-operatives and mutuals need to keep in step with the current needs of the business. Mutual governance practice should be reviewed to ensure that representative governance structures are modern and effective, resulting in imaginative and forward-looking decisions.
Co-operatives and mutuals must demonstrate:
- They are distinguished in the marketplace through a clear co-operative and mutual purpose that can secure a competitive advantage against investor-owned rivals
- The interests of key groups of people – particularly customers and employees – are appropriately represented to ensure that the business obtains the maximum benefit from their engagement
- The representative governance structures are modern and effective, resulting in imaginative and forward-looking decisions, rather than an obstruction to innovation and progress
BCCM can help your business to refresh its mutual purpose.
BCCM consultants have supported a number of leading co-operative and mutual businesses in reviewing the effectiveness of their corporate structure and practices:
- Providing an objective overview of the business and the organisational structure from a co-operative and mutual perspective
- Quantitative and qualitative polling of views from key groups of people, particularly customers, staff and management
- Reviewing strategic factors that are likely to impact the firm in the short to medium term
- Sourcing comparative case-studies of similarly-owned businesses
- Analysing the fitness for purpose of the organisation’s ownership and governance arrangements, and making recommendations for change
- Producing an implementation roadmap for change
Such strategic reviews have been undertaken in a range of sectors, including financial services, consumer owned retail, newspaper and media, internet domain registration and healthcare.