Mutual mindset: An introduction to co-operatives and mutuals
Do you have new employees unfamiliar with co-operative and mutual structures and their purpose? Or do you have directors and executives looking to deepen their knowledge of the sector? This is a 2-hour online program designed to provide a general introduction to the co-ops and mutual industry in Australia and globally.
This course is suitable for anyone new to co-operatives and mutuals and those looking for a refresher and information on the live sector. It can be tailored to your existing induction training program, or your employees can take one of our online classes throughout the year.
It is facilitated by well-known co-operative development expert Antony McMullen and includes live interaction and a guest speaker.
About this course
The key objective is to educate and inspire people working in the sector to understand more about the unique role and contribution of co-operatives and mutuals to help them in their role in their CME, whether frontline staff, management or directors. It will help build a meaningful connection between the employee and the wider CME sector, as well as strengthen the relationship with their individual employer.
This is achieved through a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles which underpin CMEs as businesses that put purpose, people, and communities at the heart of the enterprise.
It is delivered in a live, interactive webinar structure with a unique live Q&A with a sector leader. Knowledge is delivered in a fun and accessible format.
By undertaking the course, your employees will learn:
- About the co-operative and mutual business model and how it is different to other kinds of business structures.
- About the purpose of co-ops and mutuals and how they are structured to benefit members.
- Some real examples of co-ops and mutuals through case studies.
- How co-ops and mutuals are started here and around the world.
- Why working for a co-op or mutual matters – in a live conversation with a senior co-op or mutual business leader.
Upon completing the course, attendees will be able to demonstrate their understanding of:
- The size, scale and impact of the co-op and mutual sector in Australia.
- The unique nature and fundamental concepts of co-operative and mutual businesses.
- Similarities and differences from other business models, including shareholder owned businesses.
- The origins and development of co-operatives and mutuals in Australia and overseas (including mutual ADIs, Friendly Societies, agricultural and retail co-ops).
- The seven global co-operative principles and the three mutual values.
- Why co-operatives and mutuals matter to a sustainable economy and society.
Length: 2 hours
Delivery mode: Online
Professional development: 2 CPD points are awarded
- BCCM Member (1-9 registrations) – $230 plus GST and booking fee
- BCCM Member (10+ registrations) – $179 plus GST and booking fee
- Non-BCCM Members – $454 plus GST and booking fee
- Tuesday, 28 March 2023
- Tuesday, 30 May 2023
- Tuesday, 25 July 2023
- Tuesday, 26 September 2023
- Tuesday, 28 November 2023
Email the BCCM education team if you require additional information or to express your interest in attending one of the above course dates.
Listen to Meet the Co-op Leaders
The Mutual mindset: An introduction to co-operatives and mutuals course is delivered in a live, interactive webinar structure with a unique live Q&A with a sector leader.
Listen as co-operative development expert Antony McMullen interviews sector leaders, who are guests on our course, in our new podcast.
BCCM Members can access videos of these interviews on the BCCM member site.